Free At Last

King Magazine
September 2005


She knows you're watching. Rather, it knows you're watching. "I have my own joke about how [my butt] walks behind me," says 106 & Park's Free (nee Marie Wright). Her frankness causes an awkward silence. Then she brings the noise: "It's its own person and needs its own time. I respect what God gave me. I love it." Birthday-suit blessings acknowledged, the Almighty also gave the Roxbury, Massachusetts, native the ability to dazzle in ciphers, a gift that has yet to be packaged for mass consumption. (Initially signed by Sylvia Rhone to Elektra, Free left the company.) But with an untitled album in the can and a saucy 16 on Ying Yang Twins' "Wait (The Whisper Song)" remix, Free may soon be plopping her softer-than-a-baby's-ass backside on the countdown's couch as a guest.

King: For a woman willing to let a rich dude hit it on his golf course, you've been playing hard to get with KING.

Free: I was a little shy with the concept of "Take off your clothes and put your butt in the camera" (laughs). But we had a good time and I'm ready for it now. I don't think I was ready before.

Understood. Wearing Speedos to the office was awkward for me in the beginning, but now it's kinda liberating. You're generally stingy with doing press, though. Why?

We're on TV 30-something hours a week including repeats, and I'm thinking people are gonna be tired of looking at my face in a minute--you don't wanna spread yourself too thin.

Agreed. You've been on the show five years now. How did you land the gig?

TV came at such a good time. I had just left Wyclef Jean's label and was in New York to work on my album. That didn't work out so it was perfect timing when I saw (BET Executive Vice President for Music and Entertainment Programming) Stephen Hill at a party and he asked me to come audition. We were on the air within two weeks.

How is it being an artist interviewing your peers?

I'm just a big fan of music and the artists we have on our couch. I make it my point to let anyone know who comes on the show know if there's something about their music that really touched me. I really am a fan.

Based on the drool spots on that red couch, I'm sure your guests are fans of yours as well. Have you always considered yourself sexy?

I had a lot of problems with that when I was younger. I didn't want to be sexy. I didn't want to be cute. I didn't wanna be all booty.

Well, aside from your rump shaker, what would you say is your sexiest physical feature?

I have two dimples somewhere I can't tell you, but I'll show you later (laughs). They're in the groin area kinda inside but I can't explain.

Looking forward to it. So back to 106 & Park. Do all the guys who flirt with you on air really try to holla, or is that just for show?

That's the biggest misconception there is. That's just TV; that's entertainment. That's fun. Not that none of them have complimented me or really asked me out, but it's nowhere near what it looks like on TV.

If they were smart they would offer you a foot massage since you're on your feet all day.

I like my feet massaged. I like my butt rubbed. I rub it before I go to sleep. It relaxes me and calms me down like a baby. I'm gonna be completely embarrassed when this comes out.

Would it be safe to assume that with you, it ain't nothin' but a G-string?
Thongs only. Nothing else. Oh. I saw some cute shorts the other day and boy shorts are okay, but for what I have going on, thongs work the best.

Appreciate the visual. So you started out as a dancer and took several traditional dance classes from ages 3 to 16. Did you ever dance for dollars in Bean Town?
No, but I do believe that deep down every girl wants to be a stripper at least for a day. Not necessarily on a pole but they would want to be that sexual for the right man.

Funny, my male cousin's last name is Wright! Spelling is a little different but would be possible...
You're having a hard time asking me questions. If there's one question you could ask that you haven't asked what you it be?

What's the square root of 69 (laughs)? Nah, it would be something sexual.
Okay. What's the question?

What is Free's favorite position?
Oh that depends on a lot of things man. Positions? If my hair just got done--

You know what, stop. I gotta readjust...