Warm2Kids: Free

Warm2Kids
2004


Free
Co-host of BET's "106 & Park," Elektra Records Recording Artist


Free talks about growing up, the setbacks that she has faced, and the success that she has had. She also talks about what has helped her become a successful and respected artist, MC, and TV personality. Here she shares some of her stories.


Free has also had a lot of disappointments in her life...but by staying positive, working hard, and treating people with respect she is able to live her dream.
She learned early how important these three simple lessons are. During an early internship at a Boston radio station, Free impressed her boss with hard work, a positive vibe, and by treating other people how she wanted to be treated.

Later in life, Free saw her old boss from the radio station at a party in NYC. Guess what...He was working for BET, and had the perfect job for Free on a new video show...106 & Park! Free lives by her word, and it has paid off...

Q: What is the coolest part of your job?
A: Everything! I love every part of it. Meeting so many different people, seeing kids. Knowing that I make a difference in their lives, they tell me things that they would not tell anyone else, not even their family sometimes. Just making people laugh and have a great day, that’s the best part.

Q: What setbacks have you had to overcome in your life?
A: WOW! A lot, I have had so many people say negative things; I would not make it, my butt is too big, I could not sing or rap. The biggest one is when I finally got signed to Wycleff Jean’s Label, Refugee All-Stars. I thought I was getting somewhere, and then the label got dropped. I was so upset, I could not believe it. Then a week later is when I got the job at BET. It is funny how things happen.

Q: How did you get your start in the entertainment business?
A: When I was younger I interned at a radio station, WILD in Boston. I worked hard there making sure I did my job and did it well. After that internship was over, I continued to work on my singing/ rapping career, trying to get my start. Ten years later I saw my boss, Stephen Hill from the radio station at a party. Stephen was now the programming director for BET, he asked me to audition for 106 & Park because he liked my energy and strong work ethic. So you never know who is going to help you in your life.

Q: What has made you want to go into acting, just the love of the arts?
A: It is funny, because people always say how singers/ rappers are always trying to go into acting. But really we act when we are performing so it is a natural progression to make. I like to challenge myself to try new things, so this is something new. Once I try acting, if I feel I am not good at it I am not going to do it (laughs).