MARIE "FREE" WRIGHT

SoulSistasUnite.com
Interviewed By: Jay "$" Snipes

2002

MARIE "FREE" WRIGHT

Yeeaah! Although she is considered the new kid on the TV block, Free, the co-host of BET's signature series, "106 & Park" was in Atlanta for the Tampax Total You Tour. SoulSistasUnite.com sat down with this Soul Sista. Here is what she had to say:


How are things going for you?

Things are great. 106 and Park is the number one video show. Did you see the newsweek article? It was in newsweek this week, page 56. So we are doing great and I'm having a good time. I'm working on an album. I am part of the Tampax Tour, so everything is good. Everything is love.

How did you get down with the Tampax Tour?

BET is a sponsor of the Tampax Tour. When the group got together to decide who was going to be on the tour, Donna Richardson, Sister Souljah... and all of them suggested me and decided to call up and see if I could host it. And since I host during the day, they figured I could host this. So, I'm just glad they asked me to do it. It is an incredible experience.

So, everything has pretty much been a success on the other stops?

Oh yeah, we have been selling out every single show, 3500 - 4000. I think at first we were expecting all young girls, but girls come with their mothers, their grandmothers, sisters and so it's a lot of fun and a lot of different age groups.

What about the men, do they come out and represent?

Well, they sit outside and wait for the girls to come out.(laughing)

How did you end up doing the show?

I was working on my rapping and singing career. I was signed to Wyclef Jean. So, I was in New York working on it. The president who is vice president of music programming, his name is Steven, I used to intern for him at a radio station in Boston when I was younger. And, I saw him. He asked me to audition and I did. That was just it. They called me back and the second time, they said I had a job. I was like whatever. (Laughs) I didn't believe it, okay what's going on! But, I didn't even know we had the signature show for the year on 106 and park until maybe four days before we taped our first show. Dreams come true.

I guess it's not on the low, since you are putting it out there, but I've been peeping your lyrics.

The older ones. (laughs)

The Canibus joint, the "Life" soundtrack..Ed OG

Oh my God, Ed OG (laughs)OOOOOOOOOOO!!Ha Ha Whoa! Yeeaah!

What's up with Marie Antionette?

My stage name is "Free" period. My real name is Marie. Clef wanted me to use that name more. When I was with him, he would call me Marie Antionette. That is just an alias.

Are you affiliated with Wyclef's record label?

We are good friends. He's still gonna work on the album. He's singing on one record and he is going to help produce another record. We are great friends. We just decided to move away creatively. That happened right before BET.

When is it suppose to drop?

We should be signing the new deal next week. And then we will do a press release and all that. So, this summer or fall.

So if things work out, are you leaving 106 and Park?

No, it's going to workout together. I love BET. BET is just a great place to work, the people that we reach, the audience, the kids, we try to throw some positive messages in between the videos. I love TV. I never wanted to do TV. I never had a dream of it, but now that I am doing it, it's fun to me. They are supportive of my career.

Do you ever get the urge to participate in the freestyle battle?

Yeah, I have plenty of times. I told myself from the beginning that I wasn't going to. I'm not qualified because I've had deals before. (laughs)

Talk about some of the other community based projects you are working on.

Rap-It-Up campaign was great. I'm currently working on setting up my foundation for kids in Boston. It's called the "Free For Life Foundation". We are working on three different programs. This foundation has been in the making for two years now. My mother and I always wanted to start it. We have an economic literacy class, cause when I got out of high school, I was whack on credit cards. So, we will teach them about money and saving. We are going to start in Boston and nationwide it out!!

I really appreciate it. Much success on the show, the album, foundation. What advice do you have for a person trying to get into entertainment?

Surround yourself with people who are already doing it. Get internships, practice, focus, and read a lot. That's what I did...and, be at the right place at the right time.

That's big. Words of inspiration. Free is always dropping knowledge on you!

Yeeaah!